Saturday, January 10, 2009

The scarf that means business



OK y'all... feast your eyes on the first item I've EVER designed myself!!! Yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that it's only a garter stitch scarf but I had to start somewhere! And I'm really liking the striping... I'm calling it The Scarf That Means Business because I designed it for BF to wear with his work close and overcoat... basically, I wanted something that looked polished but still kept him warm... not something bulky and fuzzy with tassels... The finer yarn keeps it from being too bulky, but the nubbiness of the garter stitch adds just enough bulk to be warm and cozy.

A note on changing colors... I'm sure that someone more talented than me knows a way easier way to change colors back and forth. I use the most basic possible way, which results in weaving in a ton of ends when you're done. Basically, here's what I do. When I come to the last row of the color I'm using, I leave about a 6-10 inch tail and break the yarn. I then start knitting the next row using the next color, leaving a tail at the beginning, the same way you would if you were starting a new ball in the middle of your project. Like I said, You'll be left with about 20 pieces of yarn that have to get sewn in, but it's not so bad. I think it took me about 20 minutes to do that.
So anyway, here it is...

Materials: 3 balls Rowan Cashsoft DK in Black
1 ball Rowan Cashsoft DK in grey (you actually only need about half a ball of the contrasting color if you have some lying around)
U.S. 8 needles

With MC, CO 36 stitches.

Knit using MC for 28 Rows

Switching to CC, knit 14 rows

Switching back to MC, knit 10 rows

With CC, knit 5 rows

With MC, knit until work measures 56 inches (or longer if desired. My BF is about 5'10" and this hits right around his pelvis, which is perfect for him. If adding additional length, remember to factor in 6" for the end pattern)

Switch to CC and knit 5 rows

With MC, knit 10 rows

With CC, knit 14 rows

With MC, knit 28 rows.

Bind off and weave in all ends.

I didn't actually block this at all. It was fine without it. But I'd imagine it would end up a bit longer if you block it.

2 comments:

  1. That will look fabulous with an overcoat for work! I'm sure he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a one of a kind! Looks awesome and the
    Rowan Cashsoft DK yarn you used makes it very soft.

    ReplyDelete