Sunday, July 18, 2010

Don't say I didn't warn you....

Well here we go. Let Project Wedding Commence.

I thought I'd start by detailing the list of projects I've decided to tackle for the wedding... and then you can tell me how insane I am... The list is pretty lengthy and based on it, it'll probably seem like I'm way more organized than I am.

My plan of attack is this: front load all the decision making so that a few months from now, I know everything I have to do, and all I'll need to do is actually get it done. So here goes...

1. Make my dress (yes, really). I've already found the pattern, which I purchased from Etsy seller Metropolitan Frock. The pattern is not actually intended to be a wedding dress which, I think, is part of why I like it. It's just a basic summer dress pattern but once it's made up using a fancier, white fabric, I think it'll be perfect. I still need to go shopping for fabric, but initially I'm thinking raw silk...

2. Flowers. I'm doing the table arrangements and bouquets. But I'm keeping things super simple. I'm using all sunflowers. I found a cut flower farm about 40 minutes from my house called Stems. It's an organic farm that will either do your arrangements for you, or you can buy the flowers in bulk and do them yourself. I've spoken with the woman there who said sunflowers picked in early June will have heads about 3 inches wide. So I figure, for the bridesmaids, three blooms is plenty, a single bloom for each of the moms, either 5 or 7 for my bouquet, and then on the tables, I'm using glass milk bottles with 3 blooms in each. The only X factors right now are, I'm not sure yet if we're having a flower girl and I'm trying to decide if I need flowers to decorate the ceremony location. It's outside at a lake, so it's pretty breathtaking all on its own, but I was thinking of some hanging vases at the end of the rows of chairs...

3. Other decorations. We're stringing lights on the trees and around the tent poles. I'm also going to take jam jars and put some with candles in them on the tables (I'll probably use mung beans to anchor the candles) and then I'm going to paint some blue and green, put candles in them and hang them around the yard. (Forgot to mention, we're having the whole thing at Josh's family's lake house.)

4. The cake. I'm actually still waffling on this one. We're pretty set on having cupcakes instead of a big cake, which would be much easier. But still a lot of work. We'll see.

5. Tablecloths. I hate the look of the ones you rent. I'm going to buy a bolt of fabric and do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment