Monday, January 18, 2010

Closer to shop ready

So I've been doing a bit more experimenting and here's my newest creation.












It's a smallish corduroy messenger bag... approximately 12 inches wide, 10 inches long and 2.5 inches deep. I used brown cord for the body of the bag, as well as the strap and blue cord for the front flap. The lining is just a basic calico cotton print and I did a dove applique on the front. This one was sort of a learning experience, so it won't actually be sold (especially since it's been my go-to bag for the better part of a week now) but it's going to be a staple design in the shop. I'm trying out some others as we speak and I hope to have enough stock to start listing items by the end of the month. I did finally learn the missing step for the applique (two steps, actually)... not in time for this one, but I'll be doing it in the future... first, if you use iron on interfacing, it makes it a lot easier to keep it in place while you're sewing... second, after the initial stitching, you should go back and do at least one set (preferably two) of zigzag stitching to make sure it won't fray... I suspect the interfacing helps with that also.
So anyway, keep checking back, I'll keep posting the progress of my designs. Also, I'll post a link to the shop when it's up and running. In the mean time, I'd love some feedback on the things I've made.

No comments:

Post a Comment