Thursday, June 25, 2009

Trail Mix Cookies

Yes, yes... I've been ignoring you... but such is life... moving on.
I made this amazing cookie recipe a couple weeks ago for a trip I went on. They were a hit. Seriously, everyone raved about them. Even strangers I shared them with who were under no obligations of friendship to be nice to me. So I'm confident in saying they were really good.
Also, I know they were really good because they wrecked my diet for about a week. Eat them sparingly because they are NOT figure friendly. What can I say? I firmly believe there are some places you just don't scrimp. And cookies is one of them.
I also apologize in advance that there are no pictures to accompany this post. In my excitement over how well these turned out, I forgot to take them.
I call them Trail Mix Cookies because they remind me of the trail mix my mom used to make us when we were kids. Nothing very fancy, but she used to throw together a jar of peanuts, a box of raisins and a bag of chocolate chips and that was trail mix. And I loved it. I used lightly salted peanuts because that's what mom always put in the trail mix I remember, but you can use whatever you like. Anyway, here it is... if you make em, I'd love to hear your comments on em...

Trail Mix Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup backed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup lightly salted peanuts

Instructions:
In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and slowly add to the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Add chocolate chips, raisins, and peanuts. Cover and chill dough for an hour (longer is fine too).
Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease cookie sheets. Roll dough into walnut size balls and place on cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart (these things definitely spread). Flatten each cookie slightly with a fork dipped in sugar.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
NOTE: the cookies will still seem a little too gooey when you take them out of the oven, but if the edges are beginning to brown, they are done. They will firm up the rest of the way as they cool on the baking sheet. If you bake them until they are no longer gooey, they will not be chewy later.

1 comment: